Friday, 29 August 2014

Fauna Friday: In the saddle




Feast your eyes on this because you won't see the likes of it again. She does NOT stand still. Not like jc's Major. It was very difficult getting an unblurred photo of Quasar from the saddle so you'll have to put up with the lens cap being in the picture. I won't be trying again.

Quasar has been having a bit of a shake up recently, because I've been taking riding lessons. Suddenly she is being made to go on the bit and is no doubt noticing other little changes of varying subtlety. We all get rusty if we do the same things in the same way for decades on end so some refresher lessons are a good idea. The main reason however was not just to correct old bad habits of mine. The idea behind it is that I think I might want to try some riding holidays in the future. Now, if you go on a riding holiday you will usually be judged at the start as to whether you are to be in the beginner, intermediate or advanced group. If any ride leader saw me ride, with my old bad habits I'm a bit worried I would be put in with an inexperienced group and wouldn't be allowed on any canters or gallops and I would hate that.





So off I went to the riding school and said that I wanted to get used to riding a whole lot of different types of horse and pony at all paces. This is Herby, a Connemara pony. At 14.2 hands he is nearly 2 hands higher than Quasar so a good start for me.

Another thing is that if I want to prepare for a holiday where I expect to do hard riding for about 6 hours in the saddle every day for a fortnight, I can't practise on a 30 year old pony. It isn't fair. I took Quasar out for about 2 hours on Sunday and by the end she was jiggered so I'd better not do that to her again.


6 comments:

  1. I'm pretty certain that even without refresher lessons you'll never be placed in a beginners' group. I don't think they will judge you on style but rather on your hands and the control / ease with which you ride....and being able to ride your skittish little pony will put you up there with the experts. However I do think a bit of practise with larger horses is a good idea, you're sure to get something bigger than Quasar !
    A horseback holiday sounds lovely. Where?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helsie: Well actually, not one to blow my own trumpet, but the instructors said my riding was very good! Quasar is a lot less skittish than she used to be, probably because of her age, but she has bad manners.
    I haven't decided yet where I would like to go but hopefully abroad to avoid rain! I'll let you all know when I book. It won't be till next summer probably.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, and a refresher course is a very good idea. Now sitting on a horse saddle all day would jigger me never mind a horse! Lol
    We bought fold up bikes today and just trying them for size in the shop for a few moments told me I had muscles where I didn't think you had muscle ;-). Goodness knows what I would be like on a horse. We collect them at the end of the week hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann: How exciting about the bikes. I'm sure you will feel muscles where you didn't know you had them, but persevere. I take it you'll be doing geo-caching by bike. You have some lovely places to cycle in Ayr, including all along the sea front, where that rude cyclist shouted at me for walking. Well, I didn't know, did I? Run over him if you see him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have been along the front Foody on the bikes and along the side of the river Ayr, tonight we plan on going by the river again. Yes we will use them for caching and also a new game with the phones Munzees.
    It gets us out and it is good exercise, good to put the bikes in the car.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Munzees!? I must see if there's an explanation on your blog.

    ReplyDelete